Friday, June 3, 2011

My First Head Coaching Experience

Just a four weeks prior I was around to conduct a NTS Coach Clinic for a hopeful group of 20 plus Officers and Instructors.. soon I found myself back in the humble town of Ayer Tawar, Perak to conduct my first ANTS as the Head Coach. To be honest, it wasn't something I looked forward to. Who in the world looks forward to doing something for the first time which they aren't sure of? Oh well..

There is still a job to do. An odd group of 40 Boys and girls from all 1st Manjung, 2nd Manjung, 3rd Manjung, 1st Ipoh, 1st Teluk Intan and 1st Kulai were present, representing most of the Companies from The Perak State Council. On the same dates (28-30th May 2011) the Basic NCO Training School was also running in the same compound. Most of the same Companies were present, along with an addition of 6th Ipoh, 7th Ipoh and 4th Kampar. I'm deeply troubled that 2nd Kampar wasn't among us.. hope the Company is doing okay.

ANTS Participants waiting for.. something =)

Due to the confidential nature of the ANTS, I cannot disclose the process of what happens.. aka.. no tips for those who haven't attended. But I can comment on what I felt about this batch.

The experience handling and observing this group was quite different from the ones I've seen in KL. These individuals seem more independent in thought and action. Perhaps a result of being in smaller towns, means greater street smartness.. especially if they were required to work part-time which is a more common experience for teenagers out here. In KL, they on start working part time when they are in college at best.. or during the school holidays. However, all groups displayed one thing in common - laziness. Perhaps this is something we need to work on when we "change their mindset" right at the beginning.

I didn't perform as well as I like. Really need to toughen myself up and be more fierce.. and not smile too much. What a challenge. Another ANTS coming in Johor.. hopefully I'll be able to do better in that one. But to be honest, I was disappointed with myself that I couldn't perform as well as Mr Loh Pau Joo.. but I'll try to do better next time.

Squad Hebrews lead by Mr. Wong Chee Khoon (1st Ipoh) having one of it's modules


"Hurry! Time is running out!!!"

I am very glad and proud of the team that I was with. Madam Nga, the State Training Chairperson and the Captain of 3rd Manjung Company did extremely well in putting this NCO Training School together. It is Perak's first State organised ANTS as well as the first combined course. Hopefully this will be carried on consistently for years to come. The helps and coaches we had for this course performed extremely well and I am owe my thanks to each one of them for their hard work put in. In terms of organisation, this NTS is on par with Penang, KL and Sarawak.. which is a great sign. Praise God for his faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment