Saturday, July 20, 2013

3rd KL Enrolment and Awards Day 2013

Another year with 3rd KL, the company where it all started. All the way back in January 1997, on a weekend unfortunately forgotten, when I first walked into the YMCA for a taste of the BB.

For me, taking an enrollment pledge is important.. otherwise I won't be doing one at all. It is also important for me to remain connected to a BB company.. doesn't matter which one. Some may criticise me for it, but they've never been in the shoes of a true full-time officer, which will always find a need to belong somewhere for support, emotionally and spiritually. Otherwise, again.. where does one who does not have office colleagues turn to?  Even Sir William Alexander Smith, while being in full-time ministry as Brigade Secretary, was still attached to 1st Glasgow (probably even still as it's captain, but I'm not sure about that one).

It is always a solemn moment for me taking that enrollment pledge, reminding myself why I'm doing this in the first place. A promise to God and to my comrades to serve another year.. which is redundant because I've already decided to serve for life (not necessarily in a full-time position.. don't jump it).

Officers and Staff Sergeants taking the Enrollment Pledge

Group photo of 3rd KL Company 2013

Congratulations to those promoted, too many to name.. and those appointed to Staff Sergeant as well as Warrant Officers, particularly Bryan Fernandez and Arvind Gomez, who were my Target Recruits while they were in Form 1, 2006. Congrats to Jarod Kok - you made it bro!

Despite the usual hype from enrollment, we move into an uncertain year plagued by non-commitment attitudes - our new enemy which we must overcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment