Friday, November 22, 2013

BNTS-II @ Seremban

Probably for the first time ever, the KL State Council organised TWO Basic NCOs' Training Schools (BNTS) in the same year. It was held on 22-24th November 2013 at Wesley Methodist School Seremban upon the request of 1st Seremban who wanted to train up their leaders in time for the following year. Initially, we were targeting a small group, perhaps 20 trainees. It seems that I overestimated.

We only had a total of 11 trainees (of which one pulled out on the first night due to physical complications), 1 coach, 1 assistant coach and 1 site administrator. Essentially, we only had one squad. I was the coach and it didn't matter if I was the head coach or not since the group was so small. Fortunately, I had Staff Sergeant Everett, who recently transferred from 2nd Bintangor to 1st Seremban, to assist and taking one of the modules and drill matters. Mr. Lawrence Tay, who is working for the school, helped with site-administrative matters. Special thanks to Mr. Chin, 1st Seremban's Warrant Officer as well for setting up the rooms and presentation equipment. Participating companies include 1st Seremban, 3rd KL and the new 13th KL.

Drill session during BNTS

Why continue on with a BNTS even with such small numbers? Well, initially I did consider cancelling. But who know's who among the 10-11 participants would benefit from the course and become the catalyst of change in their BB companies or their community? Under this conviction, despite the small numbers, we pressed on. It wasn't that small anyway.. 10-11 is a nice squad size.

Although it is only my second time coaching for BNTS (2-3 other times I was just the site administrator), it was my first time doing it properly. Yep, the first one I did was as a last minute replacement for Selangor State Council as Miss Tan Giok Hui had shingles and was in too much pain to teach, but the rush meant that I didn't really prepare myself well. This time was different. I was better prepared and I taught 5 out of the 6 topics, only giving 1 module Effective Meeting to SSgt. Everett.
   
Character Game

Also for the first time, I did't have a bugler on site and was forced to turn to technology to conduct my bugle calls. I was an effective back up plan.. but less "magical" since it was not authentic. But okay, if no choice.. this was certainly a viable option. It needs a good sound system though. 

Case Study on Presentation

I'm glad to say that this batch of Boys (all Boys this time around too) was pretty good. They gelled pretty well and were not slow to catch up during modules. Despite a slow start on the first day (which is typical), they worked very well then after and performed reasonably well. The attitude was quite positive.

Night drill. I wonder what time this occurred..

Attending service at Wesley Seremban

As with all BNTS, an assessment was conducted on the last day, which in the end had a 80% passing rate. Certificates of attendance and the NCO Proficiency Certificates were issued during the closing ceremony. It was a good, small and cozy BNTS. Certainly wasn't a waste of time and I hope these Boys will go on to be better leaders in their companies. Last but not least, a special thanks to Mr. Andrew Tan, a Lieutenant from 12th KL (just transferred from 10th KL) for paying us a visit and sending some Boys home. 

BNTS-II Group Picture 

No comments:

Post a Comment