Monday, August 11, 2014

Parades on 9th August 2014

My second full parade since being back in action. This time it a full Saturday, as I have agreed to help 6th Kuala Lumpur, as their captain will be occupied half the time with MBA studies on Saturdays. Before that, I dropped by at 13th Kuala Lumpur to say hi to the SMK Seri Saujana Boys. I was quite touched that they waited for me to return before opening a hamper they've won for placing 3rd in the school's sports day march past. Congratulations to the team for their hard work! I am glad to see things running smoothly, so well done to the officers. 

Mr. Lee conducting Citizenship Basic classes with 13th KL

Due to the time I spent in 13th KL, I was short on time by the time I reached 6th KL, but was able to assist Mr. Jonathan Kong with Junior Drill, which he needed a hand in so that he can give some attention to the Seniors. Honestly, Junior Section has not proven to be my strong points. But I am always up for a challenge and did what I could. May need to adjust from time to time as there were several interesting characters in the team. 

Onward to 3rd KL. I've become their Senior Section OIC and have a mountain load of issues to sort out. But first, today's parade saw a slight change in program as we had guest from Japan visiting us. It was a group of teenagers who were on a language exchange program. We did a few games, led by the NCOs which did two games learned from Pesta (one was the hit-and-chase with a bottle game, where one person will be running around with a bottle trying to hit a person before he/she sat down in a line, if successful would trigger a person running from the other end of the same line). I think I guest enjoyed themselves. Singspiration was carried out by Mr. Ho Yew Hon and one of the Private (can't remember his name), which went well. 

Two of the older Japanese guest

The games in session



I gave extra time to the drill teams members from SMK Taman Desa to practice for their upcoming extra co-curricular day drill competition. While there were at it, I did Christian education based on an assigned topic, which message was that it was never too late to redeem ourselves. The material required me to talk about Manchester United during an ancient Champions League game, but I instead showed them a YouTube video of Manchester City and Queen's Park Rangers 2012 Premier League finals. The rest of parade was routine, as the program proceeded with drill handled by Mr. Steven Voo, followed by closing parade, then the band.

Although things went adequately, I have been exposed to many weaknesses in 3rd KL, which I hold to quickly sort out (technical and resource based issues), but some would simply take time (attitudes, motivation, interest, and leadership).

Still, it is great to be back in the saddle again. Also glad to be on "the other side", the non-full-time side which allows me to be more vocal and honest. Looking forward to take BB to a higher level!

No comments:

Post a Comment