Monday, September 8, 2014

Visiting the Founder

I was in the United Kingdom for holidays during the British Summer of 2014. Travelling between Sheffield and Edinburgh with extra time to spare, I decided to take a trip to Glasgow to visit the final resting place of BB's Founder, Sir William Alexander Smith.

Glasgow, where it all begun
I got into Glasgow via the Queen Street Station, before taking another train to Gilshochill, just another three stops away. After that, it's just a short five minute walk to the Western Necropolis. All ticket prices between Edinburgh to Gilshochill cost only £14.90 which allows you to travel any time on a Sunday. It's actually okay to "not buy" a ticket between Glasgow to Gilshochill as you can purchase tickets on the train which will be 10 pence cheaper.. and if the conductors don't get to you in time, I guess it's free!

Glasgow's Western Necropolis

A rough map of Sir William Smith's grave can be found in this book. It turns out Sir William Smith was quite the star in this grave yard, with his name imprinted on the on-site map.


Zoom in of the site map, showing the location of Sir William Smith's grave 

Locating the actual grave-site was another matter. In my excitement, I rushed about searching for the grave and ended up overlooking. I had to comb the area 2-3 times before locating Sir William Smith's tombstone. That said, it only took 5 minutes to localise. The tombstone was relatively new, no doubt due to the generous efforts of the BB in the United Kingdom.


It was undoubtedly an emotional experience for me, finally meeting the man in person, the one who started the organisation which has deeply impacted my life, as well as the lives of countless others. I am truly grateful for his heart and passion for Boys and to save souls for Jesus, mine including. Not realising at the time, it has been 100 years since his death (though I missed the exact 100th year anniversary by several months -  he died 10th May 1914, also two months before the start of the First World War). It was a privileged I could personally come honour the Founder on the centenary of his death. 


I did feel a sense of regret for coming empty handed, though I do have an excuse for that. Sir William Alexander Smith would've been too man for flowers, I couldn't bring Scottish whisky as it might give our younger members visiting this blog the wrong idea, and it was too short a notice to make a wreath (manly-flowers). So paying my respects to the man was the best I could do. Perhaps one day, I shall return and be more prepared. 

I spent the next half an hour in silence (as well as working out how to take photos of myself with Sir William Smith in a respectful way) before leaving the Western Necropolis.

Apart from Sir Smith's grave, there is also a memorial write up about the war graves, one which mentions the 16th Highland Light Infantry which comprised of former members of The Boys' Brigade.  I'm sure Sir William Alexander Smith would've been proud of the brave men of the 16th HLI.

Write up of the Commonwealth war graves, which had a short mention of BB's service in the war

I am grateful for this opportunity to experience this pilgrimage and visiting the Founder and I thank God for his life. I cannot help but reflect on the reasons why he started The Boys' Brigade so many years ago and wonder how he feels about the way we are running the BB now, particularly about doing things properly, uncompromising, and steadfastly in accordance to what is right, rather than relenting for the sake of convenience. I feel even more determined to serve the Lord as how Sir William Smith did until his death, running the race and fighting the good fight till the very end.

Rest in Peace, Sir William Alexander Smith.


PS: Special thanks to Mr. Darryn Chiew of 2nd KL for advice and a map of the necropolis.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing ..

    Yours; Lt.Timothy Bentai Daniel
    ( 1st BB Coy. Bintulu )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this.
    One thing though - Sir William was a teetotaller as is the Boy's Brigade. I think he'd best appreciate knowing his work continues (even it not in quite the same manner

    ReplyDelete