Saturday, September 13, 2014

2nd TRAC BB-GB Junior Camp @ Ipoh

From the 13th to 15th September 2014, the BB and GB companies in Ipoh organised a Junior Camp for its primary school-aged members, opening up participation to other BB and GB companies elsewhere. It was first intended that this event be extended to all the Perak State Council companies, making it their event, but it was not well received, so they agreed to convert it to a TRAC event instead. Hoorah!

I followed the 1st Petaling Jaya BB and GB contingent, as I felt it was best for me to be there to support as the TRAC BB representative. My real role though was to function as one of the drivers. 

Opening Ceremony

We left PJ Trinity around 6 plus. I messed up that morning, having slept past my alarm (didn't hear it at all to be honest!), but fortunately I was not the last person to be late.. so it wasn't entirely my fault! Skipping a planned breakfast stop, our three vehicles departed for Wesley Methodist Church Ipoh, arriving just on time. 

All other participants were already there, mostly from Ipoh. The PJ Boys and girls, as well as a group from Sitiawan (4th Manjung Company) were the only ones from out of town. Interestingly, in general the officers played a minimal role, with NCOs and Young Leaders doing most of the work. The participants were divided into 10 groups, using the names of the 12 Disciples. I'm guessing Judas wasn't one of them, but I wonder who was the poor soul who didn't get picked. Hmm. 

Camp Commandant, Mr. Edwin Khoo

1st Ipoh BB's new captain, Mr. Edwin Khoo, was the camp commandant. Coming from the rank and file of 1st Ipoh, he was once the church's youth worker before working for SUFES. I have to say, the camp was well organised and prepared. The helpers all knew exactly what to do and there didn't seem to be any uncertainties with the task they were assigned. Well done!

Camp speaker, Mr. Koh Earn Soo from Scripture Union
The camp speaker was Mr. Koh Earn Soo, the Executive Director of Scripture Union Malaysia. He is a very down to earth and humble man. His messages were backed up with many relevant facts - quit a few from documentaries (many fun facts like the red skin from salmon is actually from them not eating till the skin dissolved, while making a point about endurance), which made it really interesting! Later on, I found out that he was the father of an OCFer friend of mine, Koh Chien Aun, and the brother of 5th KL GB's captain, Jane Koh. Small world indeed!!!


The camp was a mixture of a familiar Sunday School camp and a touch of Brigadism. It was a different culture for me as I was less accustomed to seeing participants take part in multiple sessions of sermons - 2 or 3 a day. I was more accustomed to just one short devotion in the day and another at night. The rest would be all fun and games - leadership and team building games. 

Game Sessions!
Not saying there were none, the station games proved to be quite a fun and enjoyable time. There were also handicraft sessions conducted by non-BB/GB volunteers. The extra spiritual components, although unaccustomed to me, was really good for the participants.

Madam Clareen Choo playing along being the "bad guy" for treasure hunt
Good on-site prepared meals for the participants


During the final night, many young people responded to God.. not just the participants, but the helpers as well. It was truly an eye opening event, as for many of us would be less-bold to do this in a BB camp. It was certainly a lesson of faith for me.

God moving on the final night
Well done to the officers and helpers from 1st Ipoh BB, 1st Ipoh GB, 2nd Ipoh GB, and 6th Ipoh BB for their hard works, particularly (and noticeably) Mr Edwin Khoo and Madam Clareen Choo.

1st PJ BB and GB contingent 
My last task of the event was to send a van full of girls from 1st Petaling Jaya GB home. That proved to be the most stressful part of my responsibilities. A noisy van was expected, but over 20 replays of Let It Go from Disney's Frozen and it's parodies proved quite a challenge. We stopped at Tapah for lunch before continuing on back to KL, when the most testing moment came. Mid-way,  I suddenly noticed that my van's engine temperature was above its maximum tolerance. Knowing that the engine could give up at any moment, I said a short prayer of protection and hoped for the best. It was raining heavily on the North-South Highway, a mixed blessing as it provided some small relief in cooling the engine, as well as drowning out the sounds of a sick engine. Then, the Rawang rest area came to view I pulled into it, deciding not to take the risk. As I was just meters away from the intended parking spot, the engine finally gave way, and I coasted to the lot with pure momentum. God's timing was good. The situation could have been far, far worse (ie.a stationary van in the middle of the North-South Highway full of young girls). I would like to thank Mr Andrew Tan, daughter of Audrey Tan for coming to the rest area and assisting in transfers as well as providing the much needed water and radiator coolant. Ultimately, thank God for his protection. We managed to bring all the girls back to PJ Trinity safely, though a little late. I was even able to drive my car back to my mechanic in Seri Kembangan after the jam subsided.

All in all, the past few days God's presence was with us and there was certainly no regrets coming along for this camp. Till the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment